ORLANDO, Fla. - - - Men's tennis topped Cedarville University after two years of straight losses to the NCAA DII program. During the past two seasons, the Eagles have faced off against Cedarville University during their annual spring break trip to Orlando, Florida. Despite being close matches, the Eagles have suffered the losses during both encounters. The Eagles have been preparing for this match-up as they hoped it would be a competitive match, but history would not repeat itself with the results.
The Eagles came out strong during the doubles matches and completely dominated the No.1 and No.3 doubles spots held by John Mittvick (JR/South Elgin) & Elisha Hougland (JR/Hampshire, IL) and Erik Jorsal (FR/Mudgeeraba, QLD Australia) & Riley Rowan (FR/Algonquin, IL). After dropping the No.2 doubles spot, the Eagles headed into the singles matches up 2-1. This was a position that the Eagles have not been in before against CU, so they had the momentum moving forward.
As the singles matches started to unfold, the Eagles were starting to grab points with an easy win from Riley Rowan at No.6 singles and close matches for John Mittvick at No.1 and Elisha Hougland at No.2 singles. After suffering straight set losses by Joshua Gronowski (JR/Streamwood, IL) at No.5 singles and Michael Bruen (JR/Canberra, Australia) at No.3 singles, the Yellowjackets of CU were slowly closing the gap. One of the most pivotal matches of the day was at No.1 singles as John Mittvick lost the first set and then battled back in the second set to push the match to a third set tie breaker. After one of the longest tie-breakers this year, Mittvick out scored his opponent and won 15-13. This victory gave the Eagles a 4-3 edge over CU and they were one win away from a team win. As matches were coming to an end, Carlos Clerins (SO/Spain) was holding off a comeback from CU's No.4 singles player to win in straight sets over his opponent to clinch the team win for the Eagles.
Tennis Match Results Judson (IL) vs Cedarville University (OH) 03/07/17 at Orlando, FL
Judson (IL) 5, Cedarville University (OH) 4
1. Mittvick, John (JUMT) def. Totten, Alex (CED) 3-6, 6-0, 15-13
2. Brumbaugh, Matt (CED) def. Hougland, Elisha (JUMT) 5-7, 6-3, 10-8
3. Shomo, Ryan (CED) def. Bruen, Michael (JUMT) 6-3, 6-2
4. Clerins, Carlos (JUMT) def. Clark, Joel (CED) 7-5, 6-3
5. Class, Jonathan (CED) def. Gronowski, Joshua (JUMT) 7-5, 7-6
6. Rowan, Riley (JUMT) def. Carter, David (CED) 6-2, 6-1
1. Hougland, Elisha/Mittvick, John (JUMT) def. Totten, Alex/Clark, Joel (CED) 8-1
2. Brumbaugh, Matt/Class, Jonathan (CED) def. Clerins, Carlos/Gronowski, Joshua (JUMT) 8-2
3. Rowan, Riley/Jorsal, Erik (JUMT) def. Shomo, Ryan/Hoover, Jeremy (CED) 8-4